As a confectionery company, our business is strongly dependent on natural resources and the state of the environment.
Our responsibility for the environment extends throughout our value chain – from the fields where our raw materials grow, to our own operations and all the way to our customers and consumers.
The global food system is under pressure
The global food system is facing considerable challenges as the basic conditions for the cultivation of food are affected by climate change, biodiversity loss, lower soil fertility and water stress. At the same time, today’s food production is responsible for making matters worse. Agriculture and forestry accounts for a major share of global greenhouse gas emissions, it accounts for two thirds of all fresh water used in the world and it is a major cause of soil degradation, deforestation and loss of biodiversity. Transforming the global food system is therefore a critical factor to solve the sustainability challenges ahead and Cloetta is committed to do our part and contribute to a more sustainable future.
The new Sustainability Agenda – For the planet
The third pillar in our new Sustainability Agenda, For the planet, marks a re-commitment to consider environmental aspects in our business decisions and daily activities, as well as a raised ambition to improve our total planet footprint throughout our value chain.
The environmentally related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) form the foundation upon which the social and economic related SDGs are dependent. Therefore, improving our environmental performance will also help us to meet other objectives in our Sustainability Agenda. The three most relevant SDGs for this pillar are Responsible Consumption and Production (12), Climate Action (13) and Life on Land (15).
We have defined three key areas in order to achieve this overarching objective;
- Climate action by committing to the Science Based Targets initiative,
- Sustainable sourcing by promoting sustainable practices in our supply chain,
- Better resource use by driving sustainable innovation in product and packaging development and using resources even more efficiently in our own operations.
Goals for 2021
- Develop science-based climate targets and a roadmap for achieving these targets by 2025/2030
- Implement our new Supplier Code of Conduct and engage key suppliers in our sustainable sourcing program
- 100% of our packaging will be recyclable by 2025. 100% of our packaging will come from renewable sources or recycled materials by 2030